Understanding Laura

I am a crunchy oddball with too many ideas and too little time. Do you get me now?

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

In Other Words

I feel I should clarify the point I was attempting to make in my previous post. I do not think that holidays are terribly difficult or that they might not be worth the trouble. I was simply voicing that, as Heather commented, everyone forgets that last minute item at the same time and then you wait in line for what seems like an eternity.

I enjoy holidays, I just don't recall ever having been the one to stand in line and think about which items I can discreetly ditch near the checkout stand so that I might slip quietly into the express lane. I can't say that I'm fond of crowds. I have even less affection for waiting in line. I avoid The Day After Thanksgiving as though my life depended on it. I don't even like to leave my house. I make sure my milk won't expire on or before the Friday following Thanksgiving so I can avoid an unnecessary trip into the crazed community.

Ultimately, I was attempting to share my distaste for seasonal crowds.
No more. No less.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:24 AM, Blogger Captain Underpants said…

    I try to miss out on holiday masses and boycott malls altogether as much as possible in my life since I find that I immediately suffer all kinds of new problems that I never had before...sore ankles, anxiety, claustraphobia -yuck. Plus, who needs the consumerism of it all?

    I love a get together probably more than your average Canadian (my home crowd) but during the holidays it stops being optional, you don't get to pick dates and times that suit you, and the crowds can be unbearable. And I also totally believe that people don't have to love the holidays since they are very often so far removed from what they used to involve. (And also they may not celebrate these holidays, then can you imagine how much more annoying the 5 billionth rendition of mall-style 'Jingle Bells' would be??)

    Um, it's de-lurking week (I think) and I found your site through 'next blog', if you're wondering who the heck I am. My screen name isn't rude either, it's the character from a kids book "Captain Underpants" which I for some reason feel compelled to explain :-)

    I hope I didn't weird you out. Anonymous posters on my blog always leave me feeling...curious I guess.

    Take care!

     
  • At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm with ya, don't worry. :) I hate crowds and lines too and I'd NEVER go shopping on Black Friday! Too insane. Miss and love ya!! :)

     
  • At 7:58 AM, Blogger MartaMolly said…

    It's kids, yep! I beleive it is the kidderoo's that make us crazy people, defending our space in a tightly crowded shopping mart, expectations and kids, or kids and their expectations. Well, you won't know of this for a few years to come, when you find yourself fighting for the last remarkable dolly on the shelf, but your saying quietly to yourself....there's always E-Bay! Humpf, I guess your right. But for now enjoy the piece and hang on to the real joy of the season at hand, family and friends and the reason.
    Luvya! Mommy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home