Understanding Laura

I am a crunchy oddball with too many ideas and too little time. Do you get me now?

Monday, November 20, 2006

Cynic? Maybe.

I found myself pondering the upcoming holiday as Terra and I made our way in the line at the commissary.
This line wrapped around three walls of the store.
The management had every lane open, so we were only in line for twenty minutes.
But had the non-holiday number of registers been open, I would guess that we would have stood in line for well over forty-five minutes.

What is it about this season that makes us rush to the store and buy them out of every last can of olives?
Why must we have jellied cranberry sauce, stuffing, and sweet pickles?
Does it seem to you that the holidays have become more of a chore than a celebration?
Or has it always been like this and I'm only now seeing the adult-side of the merrymaking?

6 Comments:

  • At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I never associated buying olives with Christmas. :) Love ya!

     
  • At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I always have enjoyed cooking a meal for others. But then, we all pitch in.

     
  • At 12:18 AM, Blogger Heather said…

    It seems as there is always a chore involved in everything. Something that you have to get done. Once you get it done during the holidays then there is the celebration, enjoyment of friends and family. But then there is the clean-up.
    Seems as though I always forget something that I need from the store, and then so does everyone else. Lines are craazy! Last year with making pies at thanksgiving it was great, though it took a lot of time and effort. In the end it was great to see people enjoying the hard work.
    I am sure that your thanksgiving will be wonderful.You will do an awesome job! We will miss you and be thinking about you muches!!

     
  • At 7:43 AM, Blogger MartaMolly said…

    Awhhh, my little laura is growing wise.
    You know there is a timeline list to expedite preparations for the holidays.
    Some day I will share my secrets with you. And hey if you don't have olives for a meal then all is not lost, because, no one will remember the lack there of for years to come.
    Love you my darlin' daughter.
    Mommy

     
  • At 6:26 AM, Blogger Bagley Briefs said…

    I love the planning, preparing and execution of holiday activities. Knowing I'm working on a project that, in the end, will allow me time with my family and those who make me smile and I love bunches is worth all of the planning, preparing and waiting in line.

    Now, if only I could have a magic wand to wave across the aura of those feeling grumpy and inevitably take the store workers to task....

    Laura Michelle, your magic wand is your infectious smile and disarming personality. So spread a little holiday cheer with your magic wand. Baby Gent will surley be learning! :)

    Love you bunches!

     
  • At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    heheh :) I linked here from EK's blog. That line around the store is my commisary every payday (we live in CT). I refuse to go on the 1st or 15th. Adorable pg picture at the top! congrats :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home