Understanding Laura

I am a crunchy oddball with too many ideas and too little time. Do you get me now?

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Side Effects

On numerous occasions, Brian has commented on the fact that pregnant women are made more vulnerable than non-pregnant people. This is puzzling to him because he thinks that we, as females, should receive special abilities that help ensure the continuation of our species.

Take, for example, the hormone relaxin. This hormone causes the pelvic region to loosen up, allowing ample room for Baby to grow. The side effects of this same hormone include blurred vision, loose joints, and what I like to call Rubbery Leg Syndrome. (You pregnant people know what I'm talking about.)

If we were still in caveman days, a pregnant woman might be caught running for her life from a wild animal only to find that her blurry vision, loose hips, and rubbery legs cause her to fall flat on her face, thus losing any chance of survival. If mother doesn't survive, neither does baby. And another opportunity for continuation of the species has been lost.

There are several other accounts Brian has mused about regarding the state of pregnancy. I count myself lucky to live in a time where my survival isn't dependent on how fast I can run or how far I can see. Because in all seriousness, I would have tripped and fallen into a ravenous pit of hyenas were that the case.

I can, however, find a positive angle on my pregnant state:

The definite decrease in migraines.

I've had two migraines since we conceived. TWO!
Previously, I was having a migraine once every four to six weeks.

I consider that a lucky side effect of being with-child.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Because in all seriousness, I would have tripped and fallen into a ravenous pit of hyenas were that the case."

    BWAHA! That's hilarious! Though, let's be honest, I'm the person who runs into the side of the doorway, or the corner of the table, or my own foot, all the time so I'd be in the pit of hyenas too!

    By the by, I forgot to tell you thanks for the thoughtful birthday gift!! I didn't get it from my mom until a couple of days ago so I forgot to tell you! You are so sweet!

     
  • At 11:02 AM, Blogger Heather said…

    that is great that your usual migranes are not so usual anymore.Glad that you can make light of the effects of pregnancy.

     
  • At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Is THAT why my vision is so blurry lately? I was getting grumbly because I thought my expensive Lasik procedure had failed. Thank God it's only temporary.

    And I also have noticed my migraines are less frequent, but didn't think my little girl a migraine thief. Hmm, small wonders in more ways than one, huh?

     
  • At 9:22 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    SEE!! babies are just good all around, pre-conception or otherwise!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home