Understanding Laura

I am a crunchy oddball with too many ideas and too little time. Do you get me now?

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Options

Ever since I can remember, I envisioned myself having a water birth. I always pictured it in a community pool near where I grew up. But, for obvious health and safety reasons, it's pretty safe to say that won't be happening.

The base hospital is very much in support of epidurals, episiotomies, catheters, c-sections, and the like. Most modern-day women prefer these interventions during birth. But I can't picture myself giving birth at the hospital on base. It's just not my style.

When Brian said that even going into debt was worth my satisfaction with the birth, I seriously started considering going elsewhere. The staff here on base have been kind, caring, and very professional. But I just can't get past knowing that most of the women who go in, come out with stitches of some sort.

We have an appointment for a walk-through and consultation with the midwife birthing center downtown. They offer water birth, which is awesome! Even if at the last minute I choose not to give birth in the tub, at least the option will be open to me.

All this gusto toward having the birth experience of my choice is thanks to my mom and her best friend Sheila. They've both had incredible natural birth experiences in their lives and I've only heard glowing reports.

I sure hope this meeting goes well.

I sure hope I can afford it!

4 Comments:

  • At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You gotta do what's right for you! Especially for something as important as bringing your little one into this world! Good luck darlin!

     
  • At 8:11 PM, Blogger Heather said…

    Do all the prep that you can to be ready for the birth that you want. If you have the option of a mid-wife, I say go for it. They are more personal I've heard and would love to have that option. Take any prep class that you would like that is available. Atleast you will have the confidence that you need to go in there and feel like you can pull off anything that you endure. I'm sure that if you asked for help with the expense that people would be willing to help.

     
  • At 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am a major advocate for water birth... I had such a wonderful experience and hope that you are able to make a choice according to how comfortable you feel!

     
  • At 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Do it! I'd have a water birth, if I could afford it, but I really can't, so it's old-fashioned hospital (no drugs please, no matter how I beg!) for me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home