Understanding Laura

I am a crunchy oddball with too many ideas and too little time. Do you get me now?

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Allergic

I've always been allergic to nuts and citric acid (basically fruit juice).

I was eating an apple today. I know, I know. "But you're allergic!"

If I stopped eating everything I was allergic to, my list of edible foods would be severely compromised, and I might starve.

My tongue always swells up just a bit whenever I eat the things that I'm allergic to. The more sensitive I am, the more swelling there is. Usually an apple will cause minimal swelling.

Until today.

I'm halfway done eating my Granny Smith apple (for some reason, I'm more sensitive to these than to Gala apples or Washington Reds) and I get tired of it. I quit eating, passing the rest to Kinzie, begging her to eat it. She happily obliges.

At which point I notice that the swelling on my tongue has not reached a peak. It continues swelling. It even goes so far as to swell in the middle. In the past, nothing but the edges of my tongue swell. So, I freak out even more when my throat starts to swell.

Brian brings me some benadryl.

Fifteen minutes later, I can talk normally without pain. But it's still tender.

That was some fast swelling! Really freaked me out!

I wonder what else I'm hyper-sensitive to? Kinda makes me want to rush out and see.

Swiss cheese has been the worst irritant. I wonder what that will do to me now?

5 Comments:

  • At 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wait...you're allergic to swiss cheese? How'd I miss that one? I'm a bad bff! :)

     
  • At 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    yeah eat the cheese so i can see if your entire head swells up!!

     
  • At 2:13 PM, Blogger Heather said…

    That doesn't sound good, not something to try and do on purpose. Good thing benadryl works good for the swelling. Do you think that being pregnant has made your body extra sensitive to what you are allergic to?

     
  • At 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Weird... you are allergic to my favorite snack... swiss cheese and green apples!

     
  • At 7:20 AM, Blogger Just this Girl said…

    ewwww
    why would you even EAT swiss cheese?
    nasty
    jackson if you're nasty

     

Post a Comment

<< Home