Understanding Laura

I am a crunchy oddball with too many ideas and too little time. Do you get me now?

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Lucky

Isn't she a beaut?
I found this little treasure at a yard sale. The lady said that her mom had been given this Singer sewing machine as a wedding present. It just broke her Momma's heart when her son-in-law bought a brand new sewing machine for his anniversary with her daughter. Her Momma just wanted SOMEONE to use it.

The lady said it sat in her house, collecting dust, being moved with each military relocation, feeling lonely. They have a PCS (Permanent Change of Station) coming up in October, so they were selling the stuff that they didn't want to pack. This sewing machine, table, and stool was one of those items.

I was playing around with it in the yard, threading the needle and the bobbin. I asked if she had a scrap piece of fabric I could try a stitch on. She did and I nearly cried when I saw the perfect, tiny stitches this machine could produce.

I was instantly in love.

I fondled and fiddled with it for about twenty minutes. I asked how much it was, fearing the worst. When she said "make me an offer," I opened up my wallet and counted all the money I had left over. This was my last yard sale, so I only had thirty four dollars.

When I heard her say "Sold!" I almost jumped for joy! I brought her home, cleaned her up, changed the seat cover. (Underneath that clean white is a very frightening yellow leather. Hey, it was made in the 50's, what do you want?) Now all that's left to fix is that jerry-rigged velcro handle. I need to find a new knob for the tiny drawer in front.

I wanted a sewing machine SO bad for my birthday this year. But they were too pricey, even if I went with bottom of the line Walmart machines. I feel like I robbed from the nice lady who just wanted to find this machine a good home. Thirty-four dollars?? What are the chances of a deal like that ever coming up again?

I don't think I can ever go to Vegas,
I used up all my luck yesterday!

4 Comments:

  • At 10:58 AM, Blogger Just this Girl said…

    wow
    i'm in love with it too!

     
  • At 2:38 PM, Blogger elizabeth said…

    what a beauty. can't wait to see what you do with it.

    great blog :)

     
  • At 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That is exactly the sewing machine my mother has had for years! Lucky you!

     
  • At 6:08 AM, Blogger elizabeth said…

    thanks for commenting on "just 10 more lbs". that poor blog has been neglected. but its prolly b/c i would have to show a gain photo (darn candy!!).

    ya know, my hubby was stationed in fairbanks for quite a few years and loved it here. he keeps trying to talk me into moving there but i told him that the only place i would move to in ak is anchorage.

    me and him still need to take a trip there.

    toodles :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home