Understanding Laura

I am a crunchy oddball with too many ideas and too little time. Do you get me now?

Friday, May 19, 2006

Lake Eklutna

First off, I'm so glad I've helped to inspire Jess to pick up music again. My mom played the clarinet while she was pregnant with me, it's kind of a tradition I wanted to carry on.

Today we went to Lake Eklutna. There's a lot of stuff around here with names like that.
The best I can figure, the name is pronounced Eck-Loot-nuh.

Brian's shop opted to go on a hike instead of an hour and a half of PT at the gym. So, they got out of work early and spouses were encouraged to come along.

Zoe wasn't invited, but I think she was well received.

You might ask why I'm not by a lake in this picture. Well, there's a simple reason for that...with a long story attached to it.

Lake Eklutna is about forty minutes from our house. The last nine miles of the trip are very curvy, very narrow mountain roads. Zoe was doing great (She loves car rides!) until about mile five.

With four miles left to go, she started gagging. I'm guessing the curves were getting to be too much for her tiny dog tummy. I tried to grab her water dish to catch the bulk of it, but I couldn't get to it in time. As I was in the passenger seat, I had full Zoe responsibility.

She puked...All over me.

I tried to catch some in my hand when it was apparent I wasn't going to be able to get to the bowl in time. That was stupid. I ended up throwing about two tablespoons of dog puke out the window, consequently all down the side of our car.

I sat for the next four rolling mountain road miles with drying dog puke on my hand, my shirt, my jeans, my arm, my face...with nothing to clean up with...with a puke-covered dog trying to seek comfort by snuggling my neck...with morning sickness.

Needless to say, when we pulled into the parking lot for the hiking trail, a camera was the LAST thing on my mind. This picture was taken several hours after the incident.

Since I remain Laura-The Prepared, I had wet wipes in the first aid kit in our trunk. I wasn't able to get the puke off my jeans, but I DID get it off my hands and my mood improved vastly once we started walking.

Whew! I'm prepping for motherhood with a dog. I kept repeating,

"At least when dogs puke, it only smells like dog food.
Imagine what a kid's puke smells like."


Brian laughed at me the whole time I was covered in puke. I might have to see how he does with this new arrival. Maybe I'll fill him up, bounce him around a bit, and then pass him off to Daddy.

Who's laughing now?

(I'm kidding. I'd never do that.)

4 Comments:

  • At 10:47 AM, Blogger Bagley Briefs said…

    Hey Laura Michelle, thanks for sharing that funny but gross story about Zoe.

    How fun that you were able to get out and explore parts of Alaska! I have it in my mind that you are freezing up there (while we wilt in this unseasonably HOT weather) but, if you are out and about in sleeves tops, it must not be too cold!, Yeah, I'm happy there's warm weather for you, too!

    Thanks for letting me share your life with you via your blog. I routinely check in on you, Heather and Paul. I'm even contemplating setting up my own, but then I chicken out!

    But, I love learning about your fun life.

    Love you, Laura.

     
  • At 1:00 PM, Blogger CrunchyChick said…

    RuthieMom! It's super easy to start a blog! I'd be your tech support if you want to try! I've started a few people on blogging.

    If you want, the next time you visit my blog, click the link in the upper right hand corner that says "Get your own Blog." The steps are super simple from there.

    Thanks for reading my blog! I love that you know what's going on in my life!

     
  • At 10:02 PM, Blogger Paul said…

    hey! did you puke a bunch too!? I remember when I used to make you sick by the phlem problem I am plaqued with to this very day! not that I ever really intended to make you sick from it but I really couldn't help it and no doctor will even comment on it. The last doctor I had was Mike Kirkam and he just blamed it on the smoking. But I had it before I started smoking so no one would help me, this is the case with alot of things.
    I think I would puke from the doggy junk on me and shtuff, but I also feel for the puppy, poor little pupy :(

     
  • At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dog puke. SICK! Thanks Laura, now *I* want to puke!! :)

    And Ruth, it's soooo easy to set up a blog! Laura didn't believe me when I told her that but then she tried it and look at the professional blogger she's now become! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home