Understanding Laura

I am a crunchy oddball with too many ideas and too little time. Do you get me now?

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Beyond Nerve-wracking

I had to go to the emergency room yesterday.

I only waited in the waiting room for about three minutes. I guess the emergency room attendants decided it was pretty important. Seeing how I'm in my first trimester, heavy bleeding generally means only one thing.

Miscarriage.

Brian was at work, and he had the car, so my boss drove me. She checked me in and then had to get back to the center.

I was all alone.

I called Brian's First Shirt and he was able to track him down, but Brian wasn't able to make it to the hospital until I'd been there for about an hour. Well, that's not true. He was THERE, they just wouldn't let him in. I had to ask them to let him in.

I was a nervous wreck. Crying silently through all the questions they asked me; "Have you had any cramping? Fever? Injury or accident? When was your last menstrual period? Your last normal ultrasound?" The questions seemed endless, and I was so scared for our baby. But, as soon as Brian was there and he held me in a big, strong hug, I stopped crying.

No matter what happened, he was there.

So, I gave blood, urine, and nervous laughter at their reassurances. I was a little worried when they couldn't hear the baby's heart beat with the doppler thing-a-ma-jig. They assured us that it was normal, especially if we were only as far along as I had calculated.

We waited in the waiting room until my blood tests came back. They detected enough of the pregnancy hormone to consider an ultrasound. So, we got to see our baby for the first time.

Brian says it's a moment he'll never forget.

He (or she!) was so tiny. The tech said he's about two centimeters long. (About the size of a grain of rice.) They said everything looked normal and according to their measurements, he is six weeks and three days along.
(That puts our due date on December 24th.)

When they told me I have type A- blood, and that it's possible my body could be attacking the baby, thinking it was a virus or some other "problem," I was SO mad at my body. I railed at myself in my head,

"How could you attack that poor tiny thing! You leave it alone! Pick on someone your OWN size!"

They gave me a shot of Rogam, which stops a negative blood type from producing the antibodies necessary to "off" a positive blood type pregnancy. If that was why I was bleeding, everything should be okay now.

I had what is referred to as a "threatened miscarriage." That just means that my body nearly aborted the baby. So, for right now, I'm on bed rest until they can confirm that everything will be okay. I have an appointment tomorrow.

Wish me luck!

2 Comments:

  • At 6:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I hope that the shot that they gave you works good. Thats too scary especially for your first one. I am glad that you are doing better. Am so excited for you two, especially that you got to see your little grain of rice:) Your next ultrasound should be even more exciting being able to see the heart beating, the arms and legs flaling about. Its really great! Enjoy being pregnant and the maternity clothes, even if you're not real big to others lavish in all of it wear the maternity clothes even if you're just a little pregnant. You're only pregnant for nine months. You have the next 18 years of taking care of him/her outside of you. Love ya tons.

     
  • At 1:30 PM, Blogger Cranberry Jo said…

    Hi Laura,

    My stepdaughter has two beautiful girls. But her first pregnancy resulted in a miscarriage. I know how devastating that can be, and I understand how worried you must have been. God bless you, your husband and your little baby within. I hope that was the end of your troubles, and that you have a terrific pregnancy, and a wonderful little baby.
    Mary Jo

     

Post a Comment

<< Home