Understanding Laura

I am a crunchy oddball with too many ideas and too little time. Do you get me now?

Monday, July 03, 2006

War is Waging

Our neighbors have a very tiny dog. He's a miniature Pinscher named Hershey. And he is a SMART little cookie. The fence between our decks is in a bricklay pattern that allows him to weave his little body through...to come POOP in our yard.

As you read in the previous post, I HATE STEPPING IN DOG POOPIE!

Since the military housing office issues tickets for having animal feces in your yard, we religiously pick up Zoe's poop with shopping bags and tie it off so it doesn't smell and place it in our donated garbage can.

It's actually quite the system, if I do say so myself. But I digress.

Because Hershey is constantly intruding upon our little system, we got a ticket from the housing office about feces in our yard. Now, granted, at the time we received the ticket, one of the five piles of poop were from Zoe. But the housing office only issues tickets when the feces is a constant problem. (Like if they came by on Thursday and there was poopie, and then came back on Monday and there was still poopie.) So I know we only got that ticket because this little dog goes potty in our yard between four and ten times a day.

To solve the problem, we had to be aggressive. We stapled up some chicken wire and for about a month, this system was FLAWLESS. Then, two weeks ago we got a letter from the managment stating that we would need to remove all items from the deck and away from the fence for a period of one week. They had made plans to refinish the decks.

We didn't think much of taking down the chicken wire, knowing full well we'd only have a week's worth of Hershey poop to pick up. As soon as the wire was down, Hershey pooped with a vengeance!! It was more dog poop than I think he could have created without anger to drive him!

So, we stapled the chicken wire back up during the weekend, hoping for a reprieve. No, No! After his apetite was whetted, he couldn't give up the freedom of pooping in someone else's yard!

He clawed the chicken wire down!
And we stapled it back up.
And he clawed it down!
And we stapled it back up.

We even let Zoe have her fun without intervening on Hershey's behalf, hoping that a serious butt-whooping would deter him from coming into our yard uninvited.

Nope.

He just waited until she went inside to claw that chicken wire down again.

Well, the weekend ended and the chicken wire had to come down for the paint job. Since he was over in our yard anyway, we didn't even hesitate. We took it down and Hershey had full-access to our yard once more.

And the poop piled up.
(Oh, I forgot to mention in all of this that he also revels in peeing on our deck.)

When I retold our adventures in poopie land to his owner's they said they were sorry, of course, and their answer to the problem was glorious to hear.

They'll be moving in less than two weeks.

Less than two more weeks of Hershey poop. Now, don't get me wrong. He's a cute little dog. And our neighbor's have been nothing but pleasant. But I HATE picking up someone else's dog poop, or stepping in it, or washing someone else's dog's pee off my dog (Yes, he peed on Zoe on more than one occasion.), or having to ignore his WAILS while he's locked in the basement. I just hope the next family that moves in doesn't have a poodle.

I'll fill that fence with cement. I will. I'll do it.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:52 PM, Blogger Kasynia said…

    I want to booby-trap it! Though I guess I'm not clever enough to work out how I'd do such a thing. I'm so glad they're moving out.

    Poor Laura! It did make me laugh lots, though. Thanks!

     
  • At 9:05 PM, Blogger Heather said…

    Icky doggy poo, that dog sounds very determined to get on your nerves. Glad that you are able to put up deterrents.

     
  • At 6:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This may be the longest post I've ever read about doggie poop.... Reason number 543278 that I don't ever want a pet! :) Luckily there's good people like you in the world to take in the dogs! :)

     
  • At 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your post was interesting. I saw the word hershey and couldn't stop thinking about chocolate.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home