Understanding Laura

I am a crunchy oddball with too many ideas and too little time. Do you get me now?

Sunday, July 02, 2006

"I've noticed you walk like a duck."

Our friends, Steve and Carol, went out of town for the weekend to go deep sea fishing. We volunteered to puppy-sit their adorable puppy, Boozer. This is him below.
I start the story with him so you know why I'm holding a bag of poop...
Here.
Steve bragged about how he was going to catch a 200 pound fish and hold it up for the camera.
Well, this was my catch of the day.
Boozer's poopie.
There is a $115 fine for not picking up your dog's poopie in a park...or anywhere else for that matter! Which makes sense, I HATE stepping in dog poop. At least now I know there's a consequence for those that leave it behind.


While we were walking, sweet Mr. Brian says,

"I've noticed you walk like a duck."

I turn around, all indignant, and glare at him with a puncturing,
"Excuse me?"

He sputters quickly, "No! I don't mean you're a duck. Just that since you got pregnant, your feet point outward where they used to point straight."

I glare at him a bit longer, battling the pregnant rage that seems to boil up at the least opportune moments. And then take it for what it was, a misworded observation.

He didn't mean to make me feel bad. He just wanted to point out a subtle difference.
(Which I normally enjoy, because it shows he's paying attention.)


After we got done with our park walk, we went to a pawn shop.
(My fingers are getting chubby.)
I was wearing one of my emerald rings as a wedding band, since mine was on the verge of cutting off circulation.
But I didn't feel married.

I'd looked into cubic zirconias on eBay. But I like the idea of trying a ring on before buying it. (eBay had a really nice one for a total of $9.99 after shipping.)

After ten minutes of trying on random rings of all sizes, I found one that will work for the next six or so months. It put us out $40, but I think it was worth it.
As an added bonus, it's the same size as the ring finger on my right hand. So when I fit back into my original wedding band, I can wear this one for fun on my other hand.


It's a terrible picture. I'll describe it. Marquis diamond in the center (Hardly what I'd call "showy", I'd say 1/4 carat or less.) and four round cut, channel diamonds down both sides.

It's very pretty. It beats getting my wedding band sized and resized for pregnant versus not-pregnant fingers.
I bought it a bit loose so I could "grow into it"
as Brian likes to say.

5 Comments:

  • At 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh and trust me you will grow into that ring! Its so exciting to hear about your pregnancy and non-pregnancy adventures. I am happy to get to know you more than I have before.
    I started waddling in the beginning of my third trimester and my mother-in-law pointed it out. I wanted to hit her.

     
  • At 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It makes me giggle to know that Brian is still making comments like the duck one. :) And I totally can see why you'd want a ring to wear when you can't wear your own. I felt so naked while my ring was getting soldered that I busted out my old CTR ring (that cute thin one I bought last year when that girl stole mine, remember?) and started wearing it just so my finger didn't feel so naked!

     
  • At 9:12 PM, Blogger Just this Girl said…

    what size ring do you wear?
    i cudda sent you my old ring.
    maybe it would bring you some luck!
    bwahahaha!

     
  • At 10:54 PM, Blogger CrunchyChick said…

    Are we talking bad luck, Chriselda? :) That last laugh sounded a teeny bit on the evil side.

    I WAS a 6, this one is a 7 and it flops around like I'm a kid playing dress-up in my mom's heels.

    Em, I know what you mean! When my ring got sized and soldered right before we got married, I wore a silly silver ring I bought at one of those Silver Loft booths in the mall. It wasn't a wedding band, but I didn't feel like I was missing a finger!

    And Michael! I love that you read my blog and that I'm able to read yours. I always did like you! Sorry about the organ comment. I feel bad about it to this day.

     
  • At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i dont even remember the organ comment. but thanks for the apology? i guess. honestly, i love reading the excitement about your pregnancy, it makes me more excited about mine even though i am looking forward to it being over soon!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home