Understanding Laura

I am a crunchy oddball with too many ideas and too little time. Do you get me now?

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Gas

I've been working with toddlers age two to three for about two weeks now. We had a few new kids start this last Monday. In the new group, there's one little boy who sticks out most in my mind. Here's why.

Miss Laura: "Who's poopy?"
Class: Blank stares
Miss Laura: "No one's poopy? Are you sure?"
New Little Boy: Hops up "I am!"
Miss Laura: "All right! Let's get your diaper changed."
Little Boy: "Okay!" Skips over to changing table

~Changing Commences~

Miss Laura: Pulls up little boy's pants

Little Boy: *Fart noise*
Miss Laura: Looks up from buttoning little boy's pants. Looks into his eyes in fear.
Little Boy: Very serious voice, looks Miss Laura in the eyes.
"Don't worry. That's just gas."
Miss Laura: Loudest, most relieved laugh EVER "Good! We don't want to change you again, do we??"
Little Boy: "No way!"

What's fantastic about this story is that this little boy is only two and half years old. His parents talk to him like he's an adult. No baby-talk. On his first day, his dad squatted down so he could see his son's eyes. He says, "All right. I have to go to work now. You're going to work here today, okay? Make sure you do your best job. I love you."

After a hug for his dad, the little boy walks over to the musical instruments and proceeds to tell me what each of them is called.

Except for the scary bell thing. No one knows what that is.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:11 PM, Blogger Staci said…

    That is such a cute story! Sometimes I wish I was back at my daycare job. The kids made it much more rewarding then where I'm at now.

     
  • At 9:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You really DID post the farting story! HAHA! I just don't know of my farting story has the funny retell effect that yours does. I mean...maybe mine was only funny if you could see the old Asian lady, hear the Honk's $1 soft rock, and then the crashing thunder of the old lady's fart?

     
  • At 6:47 AM, Blogger Heather said…

    kid stories are so amusing. Glad that you had one to share.2-3 is a good age to teach them about things, they are so willing then. Now that Alona is two months away from four I have to bribe her to let me teach her what the alphabet looks like.

     
  • At 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    that is precious. i love the story!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home