Understanding Laura

I am a crunchy oddball with too many ideas and too little time. Do you get me now?

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Maybe Baby

In an effort to maintain pregnancy beyond 35 weeks, I began weekly injections of 17P - a synthetic progesterone - on February 9th.

In one week, I lost my second trimester bounce.
I have no desire to clean, cook, or organize.
I would be happy sleeping 12 hours a day.

I feel like I'm powering a locomotive uphill - and that's just to get out of bed!

Essentially, I've been feeling like toast.

I almost quit the injections. Almost.

But reading through my blog posts during my first pregnancy convinced me that four months of pure exhaustion is worth the increased possibility of a full-term baby.

I was 50% effaced at 33 weeks.

50%! And my cervix was not checked again until I went into labor at 35 weeks.

I know we got off lucky with a pre-term baby exhibiting signs of a full-term pregnancy. But just because you win the lottery once, doesn't mean you should buy more tickets. Right? Be happy with the good fortune you have and make preparations for when your good fortune takes a nap.

If I can keep my cervix from effacing before 36 weeks, then maybe my bag of waters will have the support it needs to remain intact.

And if my bag of waters remains intact, then maybe my body won't expel Delia in an attempt to save her life.

If my body doesn't give Delia the boot before 36 weeks, then maybe - just maybe - we can have a happy, healthy, family-centered birth at the birth center.

Maybe.

Maybe is enough for me.
Let's hope this maybe is enough for Delia Hazel.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:25 AM, Blogger Bagley Briefs said…

    Maybe is sounding good to me! If all the maybes align, maybe I'll be there to witness (goosebumps) the wonderful event.

    Loving and missing you... more than all the the snowflakes falling from the sky!

     
  • At 7:28 AM, Blogger Bagley Briefs said…

    By the way... sorry you are feeling like toast! That's no fun.

    BTW2: I can't believe I posted a comment before your wonderful and loyal friend Miss Emily! She must be enjoying her part of NYC :)

     
  • At 8:55 AM, Blogger Penny for your thoughts said…

    Laura, toast can have many kinds of wonderful but different flavors of jam on it. Just think outside the box and do wonderful or different things like movies or paper plates (heaven forbid - do it girl!!!) or reading and more quiet fantasy play with Kellie. Screw the house, just keep it a healthy eco-system and it will still be there later. Ask for a maid "super clean" day as a baby shower gift and see if the girls can get you one at the end of the road. Tell Brian to step up and crock pots are wonderful!!! Love you. Stay Safe safe safe!

     
  • At 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I say start a multiple igloo system. Every one to two weeks of accumulated mess, just move to another igloo, and let the snow cover the temorary lodging igloo that became messy. (don't do it in your own backyard because after break up it will be bad) (oh, and the massive amounts of poop ;-) That way you can just bounce from igloo house to igloo house and let the snow cover all your mess...I think this may be my best idea yet...you can thank me later! ;-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home