Understanding Laura

I am a crunchy oddball with too many ideas and too little time. Do you get me now?

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Juice Tongs

I'm vertically challenged.

Anybody who has ever met me in person knows that. What they don't know is how I overcome my affliction.

As we were heading out the door, I asked Brian if he would like a juice box.

He replies "No, thank you. Unless you already have it down." Because he knows how difficult it is for me to reach things that are up high.

I say, "I don't have it down, but I have the juice tongs ready."

Silence follows.

Then, the curious-sounding footsteps (Yes! His footsteps sounded curious!) up the stairs and back into the kitchen. "Juice tongs?" His voice filled with incredulity.

"Yeah. See?" I show him my red-handled juice tongs. They are quite simply a set of tongs that were previously used for flipping chicken, until we got our countertop grill with it's own little spatula. At which point they were promoted to juice tongs. I reach up, grasp a juice box with my fancy red-handled tongs, and bring it down to my hand.

Brian is speechless. How does one process this information? His wife of two years and nine months has juice tongs. The woman he has been with for all of his adult life has juice tongs. What kind of person has juice tongs???

He asks if there are any other height-helpers I have. The only one I can think of is my cereal spoons. I use mixing spoons to scoot cereal boxes down from the cabinet. (I learned this little number from my Ruthie.)

For all you vertically challenged people out there; please, share with me your tales of accommodating your height.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just whine until Jacob comes to get it for me! Or, I jump-sit on the counter and reach from there. Or...I leave the top cabinets empty! Haha! I'll have to try your neat tricks! And by the by, at first glance, I thought your title said "juicy thong!"

     
  • At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wow. i thought i was the only one who grabbed things with tongs! i use spoons too. being 5'4 isn't that easy, especially when one is holding baby most of the time. :)

     
  • At 10:21 PM, Blogger Just this Girl said…

    i use the tongs too
    i can't think of anything else i do
    i'm barely over 5 feet
    terrified of heights
    so yeah
    if you have any more pointers...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home