Understanding Laura

I am a crunchy oddball with too many ideas and too little time. Do you get me now?

Friday, November 18, 2005

Yin and Yang



I used to think that my sister and I were as opposite as could be.

Day and night.

Tall and short.
Obnoxious and reserved.

I'm beginning to see similarities that have always been there...I only became aware of them when I realized that we won't be seeing each other for a LONG time. Partly because Brian and I will likely be stationed in Alaska for a minimum of 12 months...mostly because she'll be leaving to Alabama on the 25th of this month.

I guess I never really thought about the one day that we'd be seperated. That day is fast becoming today. I assumed Tara would always be here to hang out with and tell secrets to. That even if I left, I could always come home and have a permanent sleep-over buddy. She's always willing to hang out with me. Even though there are times when we completely ignore each other, it's nice to know we're in the same room. Bonding, I suppose.

I didn't realize how hard this separation is going to hit me, until it hit me! And it's hard! I don't want to lose my baby sister! And we're both TERRIBLE at keeping in touch, so I'm sure it'll be YEARS before I find out that she got a rainbow tattoo on the back of her neck, or went skinny dipping with Orlando Bloom, or drank so much beer she passed out and woke up married to Cletus-The Slack-jawed Yokel... I want to be there for all her crazy goings-on.

We talk about basically everything under the sun with little-to-no shame, but I've never been able to tell her how much I love having her in my life. I love that no matter how long it's been since we talked last, we pick up like it's been only moments. And I love how she can be so accepting of differences of opinion. I never have to worry that a secret I share with her will make it past her lips to anyone else's ears. She's like a built-in best friend and I've taken her for granted.

It's a shame you always miss what you've lost and want what you can't have.

Hindsight is 20/20, or so I've heard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home