Understanding Laura

I am a crunchy oddball with too many ideas and too little time. Do you get me now?

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Love Thy Neighbor

This evening, I found this note taped to our garage and our garbage can moved from the side of the house - parked in the middle of our driveway up against our garage door.


My response?

Well...

While I wanted to respond with the same level of hostility, Brian sweet-talked the irritation out of me and helped me compose a friendly letter in response.


Dear Neighbor,

Should you have a concern, we'd be happy to talk about it.
Please drop in at your earliest convenience.

Sincerely,
The Gent Family

I taped it to our garbage can and put the garbage can back on the side of the house.



Had our neighbors come over to talk to us (instead of using their passive-aggressive tactic), I would have responded with this -

"Oh my, I'm so sorry. I didn't realize our garbage cans were bothering you. Thank you for coming to talk to me about it. Unfortunately, we have nowhere else in our front yard to store them, our garage is full with a car and a minivan, and our gate has been broken since we moved in. I'm afraid I don't have the energy to care for two small children while manhandling the gate open, holding it open, and rolling two garbage cans out once a week. However, we have a work-order in with our rental agency and are anxiously awaiting a functioning gate. For the time being, this is the only storage solution we have. We really would like to accommodate your request. We will do so as soon as we are able."

I've never had neighbor neighbors. Is this how things go? I'm not so sure I was missing anything!



After-Post Thoughts-

Where did all that hostility come from, anyway? That was a quick leap to freak-out. What if I'd reversed my minivan into the garbage can instead of finding it on my way to the mail box? I've been home ALL DAY LONG. I know they didn't try talking to me first. It's not like I missed them while I was out. Can you see my eyes rolling???

4 Comments:

  • At 7:57 PM, Blogger Bagley Briefs said…

    Ugh! It sounds like a note from an annoyed parent trying to contorl an errant child.

    I leaped to irritation, too!

    Since taking the trash out is the husband's job, Brian can work out an amicable solution with the passive aggressive neighbors :)

     
  • At 10:46 PM, Blogger heather said…

    Unless its run by some neighborhood homeowners association, you can put your trash wherever you please. Your neighbor should be glad you store it along the side of the house instead of leaving it in front or down by the curb. Talking to someone is always better than leaving an anonymous harshly written note. Ugh! Please let us know how this turns out!

     
  • At 10:58 PM, Blogger MartaMolly said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 11:01 PM, Blogger MartaMolly said…

    How invasive is that!
    Like I said Lala "Kill'em with kindness" be sweet and act like it never got your dander up, offer them a plate of cookies after all it is the season right? The offending spouse/neighbor should walk away feeling embarrassed at the least. I say the wife wrote the note and pushed the husband into doing her dirty work, moving YOUR trash receptacle, like an obedient drone. Poor guy ya' gotta feel bad for him, those cookies and your smile may be what he needs to feel like he is worth something :0)
    I support you...no one has a right to tell you where to store your can, or come on your property to relocate it. Ask them to put up a privacy screen if the serenity of their guests is a concern.
    I have faith you will handle it like a pro!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home