Understanding Laura

I am a crunchy oddball with too many ideas and too little time. Do you get me now?

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

I Can Knit

This past weekend (yep, right after I posted) I learned how to knit and crochet. Here's my knit swatch. It's not much to look at. But it's practice!



Kellie and I are getting along much better since we started supplementing with formula. Her biting and kicking and scratching and pinching turned out to be a sign of frustration. I am able to pump (at most!!) 3 ounces of milk. More often than not, it's only an ounce.

She is downing a 6 ounce bottle before bed. No sweat.

Because I'm no longer starving my sweet baby, she's been sleeping in four and five hour stretches.

She's also taking two to three hour naps.

I don't really think I was starving her. :) But the violent nursing has been going on for well over two months. Long enough to convince me that it wasn't because of teething and my body was in no hurry to make the amount of milk she needed.

She lovingly pats my hand while drinking her bottle.

She hasn't scratched/pinched me once since Saturday night. She has bitten me. Twice.

This is amazing since she used to have some form of saying "Mom! This milk isn't cutting it!" during every feeding session. Be it kicking, or twisting, or pulling, or pinching, or biting, or slapping, or punching, or squeezing, or...

We haven't quit breastfeeding completely. I still pump what I can and mix it with formula. And she nurses regularly throughout the day. Nice nursing. Not mean nursing.

The long naps and night sleeping are GLORIOUS!

For learning to knit, I highly recommend the book "Stitch 'n Bitch" Hilarious and informative. The perfect teach-yourself-to-knit book.

Winter Zoe is back. The dog who refuses to leave the deck to pee. Then later, pees in the house because she's deathly afraid of the rain/cold/snow/wind/thunder/lightning.

Sometimes I hate winter Zoe.

I need to go to sleep. I need to take advantage of Kellie sleeping...all by herself...in her own bed...soundly...with no signs of stirring. Sigh. Bliss.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:59 PM, Blogger Heather said…

    Sounds great that you figured out a better sleep schedule and Kellie is getting all she needs. Curious,does Kellie get solids too? great knitting project!

     
  • At 3:07 PM, Blogger CrunchyChick said…

    She eats three square meals per day plus milk/formula.

    A standard day would be:

    Nurse
    Breakfast: eggs, yogurt, oatmeal
    Nurse
    Lunch: meatloaf, green beans, wheat bread
    Nurse
    Dinner: spaghetti, corn, cheese
    Nurse/bottle to bed

    Except for the bottle, that's how it's been for two months. And you've seen how skinny she is. She must have needed more.

     
  • At 7:00 PM, Blogger The Fiskeaux Family said…

    Is "Stitch 'n Bitch" good for those of us who have no clue what all the codes and symbols mean? Like the board book of knitting? LOL I was looking at the Klutz books for knitting and crocheting, because I'd like to make my son some wool longies/shorties...someday.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home