Understanding Laura

I am a crunchy oddball with too many ideas and too little time. Do you get me now?

Monday, January 29, 2007

Oatmeal

Babywearing.
Co-Sleeping.
Attachment Parenting.
Love and Logic.

And now...
Cloth Diapers.

I am well on my way to becoming a "hippie-freak."
I never thought (I mean never) that I would even be considering cloth diapers.

After being referred to Traci's blog by Emily, I've not only considered, I've basically decided.
All I need to do is talk it over with my husband.
(He hates surprises being sprung on him. He also loves being an active decision-maker when it comes to choices concerning his precious girl. Yay me for marrying a winner!)

I'm so excited to tell him what I've learned that I am waiting-up for him, so to speak. He gets up for work in two hours and since I indulged in a diet pepsi with dinner last night, Kellie has had no interest in sleeping the past three or so hours. She has wanted nothing more than to stare into my eyes and give me half smiles while she puzzles out what it is I'm trying to convey to her through my raspberry-blowing and kissy-faces.

To be frank, I'm not quite sure that I know what it is I'm trying to say...

On an un-related topic, braces are a no-go.
Those of you who know me know that this is the way I work.
I jump headfirst into big decisions.
Once I find myself alone with my thoughts, I actually think about what it is I am committing to.
I want braces. I really really do!
But I want other things more than I want braces. And until they've reached the top of my priority list, I'm holding off.

Also, they are about 4,000 smackers less in the lower 48.

Our tour is up in two years.
Can I wait? Yes. Should I wait? Yes. Do I want to wait? No.
But I will so I can have/do the following:

Go hog-wild at Honk's One Dollar during my visit to the lower 48. (There are no dollar stores in the great state of Alaska.)
Buy a BIG gift for Baby Gudgel.
Start a savings account for Kellie's college tuition.
A television set that doesn't buzz.
A shiny new motherboard for my sweet man.
Three hours of beauty pampering minus the guilt.

I want all of those things. And I want them without going into debt.
I can do that, if I don't go into debt for braces.

The minimum payment on braces would eat up all of the remaining money on our budget plan. Which means anything we want to do/buy above and beyond what I budget for (And that's not much in the way of fun stuff) would be on a credit card.
It seems silly to have credit card debt so quickly after paying it off.

If I have any control over it, I'd like to remain credit card debt-free until I die.

4 Comments:

  • At 6:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cloth diapers are amazing. My friend swears by them. Here is a link to how/why she loves them sooo much: http://exxon23.livejournal.com/427161.html

     
  • At 6:32 AM, Blogger Heather said…

    Credit card debt free sounds great. Cloth diapers, good for you brave woman. Not sure I could be so brave with three kids. College tuition woohoo! My children have little accounts started and we all know in 15-20 years college is not gonna be cheap!

     
  • At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My favorite type of cloth diapers are fuzzibunz. Unfortunately the snail diaper you see on Anden's booty is made by a mom in Austin. She doesn't make or sell them anymore. To me, fuzzibunz are easy to clean and change when you are out. Otherwise, i use prefolds with a mother-ease diaper cover over it. That's all!

     
  • At 4:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's my girl! Changing her mind on braces, jumping on board with cloth diapers! Aww it's just like we're spending time together! :) I love you! (PS So glad you love Traci's blog! She's a hoot isn't she??)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home